Fundraising FAQs

Got a question about fundraising for the HDA?

We answer your common questions here. If you’d don’t find what you’re looking for, our fundraising team are happy to help. Get in touch with them by email or by phone 0151 331 5445.


Planning your fundraising event


Do I need insurance?

For some fundraising events you will need to have public liability insurance. Many venues already have this, so we suggest you check with them first. The Huntington’s Disease Association cannot accept liability for fundraising events that aren’t organised by us.

Do I need a licence to hold a street collection?

It is illegal in the UK to hold a street collection without obtaining a Street Collection Licence from your local authority (council). To find out about street collections in your area, contact your local council or type in ‘Street Collection Licence’ into the search facility on your local authority website.

To collect money on private property, such as a supermarket or pub, you must get the permission of the owner or manager first. It may help if you are wearing an HDA t-shirt or sweatshirt and have an official collection tin, which we can provide. Other items such as HDA leaflets, balloons and stickers will also be useful to have with you to hand out to people as they donate. Get in touch to order your materials.

Can I hold a raffle or lottery?

There are three types of raffle: small, private and public. For small raffles at a one off event where the raffle is not the main focus of the event, you do not need a licence. For a private raffle, such as one you may hold through your workplace or club, you do not need a licence. A public raffle, which is a raffle open to a wide audience over a long period of time, will need to be registered with your local authority (council). For more information and to ensure you stick to the law, please visit: or telephone 0121 230 6720.

Can I sell alcohol at my event?

You are not allowed to sell alcohol at an event unless the premises have a licence. You will normally need a premises licence in order to hold a raffle with alcohol as prizes too. We recommend that you check with the Gambling Commission before your event.

Can I take photos at my event?

Yes, but always seek permission from people if you are going to take their photograph, particularly if you plan to publicise this in any way. If you are taking photographs of children, make sure you have their parent or guardian’s permission first.


Promoting your fundraising event


Can I use the HDA logo?

Once you have completed an event registration form our fundraising team will send you a copy of our logo for you to use during your fundraising. There are rules around using the logo, find out how to use our logo in your publicity.

Can you help me promote my fundraising?

Yes. Once you have registered your event with our fundraising team, we will be able to help you think of ways to promote your fundraising event and give you support if you need it.


After your event


What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a scheme where charities can claim back tax you have already paid on your donation. Please ensure your supporters include their full name, home address and postcode on your sponsorship form in order for us to claim an extra 25p for every £1 raised. Work addresses will not be accepted. We will not to pass any personal details on to third parties. Please send your sponsor forms to us after your event so we can claim any Gift Aid available.

I’ve collected my sponsorship money, what now?

Congratulations on your fundraising!

You can send funds to us by:

  • Cheque: send a cheque made payable to the Huntington’s Disease Association to:
    Suite 24, Liverpool Science Park, IC1
    131 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool L3 5TF
  • Credit or debit card: make a payment over the phone by calling 0151 331 5445
  • Bank transfer: please contact our fundraising team for our bank details if you would like to make a payment by bank transfer

Please don’t send cash in the post.


Our promise to you


Below you can see our fundraising policies that layout how fundraising works with the Huntington's Disease Association, what we promise you as our fundraisers and what procedure to take if you have a fundraising complaint. 

Fundraising with the Huntington's Disease Association

Supporter charter

How to make a complaint

For any further information on our fundraising policies please contact or call 0151 331 5444.